Dental Student

Default MCAT Gold Standard Bio Videos

Has anyone used the MCAT Gold Standard Biology videos? It's a series of 4 dvds. I have heard good things. I would rather pay for chads videos, but I do not think he will be posting anything for biology. Just wondering. Thanks.

Dental Student

I bought these videos. I will let you guys know if its worth it.

Chad

We'll be releasing a series of bio videos beginning in May which probablly isn't soon enough for you. But I would still love for you to provide some feedback for the students on the forums of what you think of the Gold Standard Bio videos. I'm all for students being made aware of quality (and low cost if possible) resources.

Thanks!

Dental Student

No problem. I'd be happy to.

Dental Student

I just went throught these videos and I do not recommend these at all. The videos breifly overview the main concepts of biology that will be tested. No real in depth look at any of the systems, nor are there any questions to guage undertanding of concepts. All he says is that you get 75% of the info from passage and the other 25% is a general understanding. He never went over fetal circulation, no mention of absorption or secretion in the kidneys, and no mention of skeletal system, especially muscle contraction. A complete waste of money and time. Very dissapointing. I'd rather give you $100 Chad, to burn this dvd from memory. Read your bio mcat books and do questions. Wait for Chad's bio videos coming in May. Definitely will be way better and cost effective than the mcat-prep.com video series.

Pre-Medical, Medical Student

Chad will you be posting your videos in the beginning of the month of may? I'm scheduled to take the mcats on may 31st. Hopefully there of some use for me before my deadline. *crossing fingers*

Chad

I should begin posting some of them in early May but I would recommend studying from another source for your timeframe. You'll definitely want to have completed the bulk of your content review before our bio videos are released. What are you currently using for content review, practice questions and practice passages for bio?

Pre-Medical

Hey Chad I'm super excited to hear you're going to be posting some Bio videos. Will this be a long gradual process or could we possible see the majority of concepts being covered in May?

Pre-Dental

Hey Chad, so I've been going over the Cliff's AP notes and I've done the Destroyer's bio which I think is super awesome (I've also done Crack DAT bio and I'm not too thrilled about it) but I have super detailed notes. I looked at Alan's notes and I think his are awesome but may be more on the concise side (or mine are just crazy). Do you have any recommendations about bio. And about the RC section as well if you have ANY guidelines I'd love to hear it. RC is my major enemy. Thx a million.
    Last edited by dentaldat; 03-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.

MCAT Scores:
    Physical Sciences: 6
    Biological Sciences: 8
    More Details

Chad- can you also suggest a text for biology (for MCAT)... thanks, or what you would suggest.

Premium User
    Medical Student

I'm taking my mcat June 21, and have been using your videos with Berkeley review. They seem to go together well and I love the way you explain, it makes the passages much easier to 'decode'. I'm hoping you'll have some bio videos up beginning of May do I can add those to my content review! Right now I'm using EK bio and Khanacademy (khan doesn't go into deep detail and he's a little long winded, but I find him helpful for concepts I don't understand. Thanks for all the hard work, and definitely looking forward to the new bio vids!! Will those appear in the mcat study vids section we've already bought, or will that be a new subscription we need to purchase??

Premium User
    Non-Student

I stumbled upon this from a suggestion by someone who suggested Jon Chui's work (see link below...awesome!).

Anyway, I love all the videos! Just hearing that there will be a Bio component in May confirms that I will move my MCAT from May 31 to later, like Aug. I've been out of school for a long time and been teaching science for middle and high school. What I know is superficial compared to content for the test. I hope I do well like everyone else has been posting. If not, I am strongly considering a Post-Bacc and going that route.

I haven't gone through all the videos yet--started this in April...just wondering when I should start taking the full-length practice tests.

BTW...really cool that you mentioned Ravi Zeccharias in the Gen Chem video!

Happy studying to all!

http://www.jkwchui.com/WP/wp-content..._overview1.pdf

Premium User
    Pre-Dental

Hi I was wondering if there was an update on the biology videos from you?

Thanks!

Chad

We start filming them this week. They're going to require a little more editing than normal but I'll be working every last second possible to get the new content up as quickly as I can. I'll have a little better idea what this is going to take by the end of the week.

Premium User
    Pre-Optometry

Ive used the exam kracker book for bio and also the big kaplan book (for the OAT). I thought both were very good but I'm excited to hear there will be chad bio videos! Hopefully they'll be up in time before I take my OAT at the end of June. Thanks chad for all the fantastic work on the videos! They make studying much less stressful!

Pre-Medical, Non-Student

Default Gold standard mcat package

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Wright View Post
    Ive used the exam kracker book for bio and also the big kaplan book (for the OAT). I thought both were very good but I'm excited to hear there will be chad bio videos! Hopefully they'll be up in time before I take my OAT at the end of June. Thanks chad for all the fantastic work on the videos! They make studying much less stressful!
    Hi.
    I am selling the gold standard package for $125 plus shipping.
    you won't find for cheaper..
    if interested let me know ASAP

I am using EK and Kaplan for Biology, probably won't watch Chad's videos for Biology because I'm pretty strong in the subject already. With that being said, I would also strongly suggest incorporating reading journal articles from prestigious journals (Cell, Nature, etc.) in your study schedule and trying to understand them thoroughly. MCAT Biology is shifting to heavy critical thinking in this section, though background knowledge is obviously needed, the ability to read and analyze theories/experiments will be key. Just my 0.02.

Good luck!